Kindly loaned by a private collector for several months, a splendid Ferrari 275GTB is now in pride of place in Autoworld’s Sport and Competition Zone.
The Ferrari 275 GTB was launched in 1964 to replace the Ferrari 250 GT Lusso, a far more spacious and luxurious evolution of the Ferrari 250 Berlinetta SWB revealed in 1959. At the Paris Motor Show in 1964 it unveiled two major technical advancements in the make’s history.
The 275 GTB was the first road-going Ferrari to be fitted with a transaxle, mechanical component activating a 5-speed gearbox fitted to the rear axle and limited slip differential. The car was also equipped with independent rear suspension.The body was designed by Pininfarina, calling on certain characteristics emanating from the Ferrari 250 GTO, such as the defined silhouette around the long bonnet sheltering the engine and a receded cockpit, lateral air vents and a heavily inclined rear. Production was entrusted to the Carrozzeria Scaglietti, making use of aluminium alloy as opposed to steel for the doors, the bonnet and the boot lid.